Syria recently announced an increase in publication fees by the ministerial Decision No./2133/ dated on 28/09/2017.
The increase in the publication fees effected Trademarks, Industrial designs and Assignment applications), as following:
- 317% for Syrian individuals.
- 234% for Syrian companies.
- 186% for foreign individuals and companies.
This official fee increase will be effective as of 15th of October, 2017.
This increase of publication fees will affect all applications submitted to the Trademark Office retroactively as per the below;
- Applications filed or accepted and not yet published, will be subject to official fee increase of 260 US$ (130 US$ for each publication).
- Applications proceeded to first publication for opposition purposes, will be subject to official fee increase of 130 US$ (130 US$ for second publication only).
- Applications matured to registration and publication period ended before the effective date of this new decision, will not be effected by the increase.
It’s important to remember that according to Art. (34/b) from the Syrian trademark law No./8/ for the year 2007, Procedures of substantive examination, publication and opposition shall be applied to the renewal applications of marks registered before the enforcement of this law and only for one time.
The table below shows the exact change in the official fees:
|Item||Old Fee US$||New Fee
|Publication fee – Trade Marks Journal (for first ten words in the list of goods/services)||70||200|
|Publication fees after registration for new applications (or renewals) (for a list of goods/services of 10 words)||70||200|
|Fees for additional set of 10 words in the list of goods and services||4||6|
|Publication Fee – Recordal of Assignment, License, Merger, Pledge (First Mark)||50||100|
|Publication fee for each Additional Trademark Recordal of Assignment, License, Merger, Pledge in the same Application for the same Owner||10||30|
|Publication fees for the recordal Name or Address or Legal form (First Mark)||50||100|
|Publication fee for each Additional Trademark in the same recordal Name or Address or Legal Form Application for the same Owner||10||30|
|Search Records (per mark, per class)||10||15|